POLARIS MUSIC PRIZE ANNOUNCES THE 2019 LONG LIST
The 2019 Polaris Music Prize Long List is:
- Tim Baker – Forever Overhead
- Tanika Charles – The Gumption
- Clairmont The Second – Do You Drive?
- Charlotte Cornfield – The Shape of Your Name
- Marie Davidson – Working Class Woman
- Dilly Dally – Heaven
- The Dirty Nil – Master Volume
- Dizzy – Baby Teeth
- Elisapie – The Ballad of the Runaway Girl
- FET.NAT – Le Mal
- Dominique Fils-Aimé – Stay Tuned!
- Fucked Up – Dose Your Dreams
- Yves Jarvis – The Same But By Different Means
- Carly Rae Jepsen – Dedicated
- Kaia Kater – Grenades
- Kimmortal – X Marks the Swirl
- La Force – La Force
- LAL – Dark Beings
- Laurence-Anne – Première apparition
- Salomé Leclerc – Les choses extérieures
- Lee Harvey Osmond – Mohawk
- Jean Leloup – L’étrange pays
- Shay Lia – Dangerous
- Les Louanges – La nuit est une panthère
- Loud – Tout ça pour ça
- Shawn Mendes – Shawn Mendes
- Haviah Mighty – 13th Floor
- Operators – Radiant Dawn
- Orville Peck – Pony
- Sandro Perri – In Another Life
- PUP – Morbid Stuff
- Lee Reed – The Steal City EP
- Jessie Reyez – Being Human In Public
- Shad – A Short Story About A War
- Snotty Nose Rez Kids – Trapline
- Alexandra Stréliski – INSCAPE
- sydanie – 999
- TOBi – STILL
- Voivod – The Wake
- Wintersleep – In The Land Of
In total, 233 albums were considered by the 199 member jury for Long List selection.
The announcement took place earlier today at The Forks in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
“Canada Council is thrilled to support the musical talent recognized by the Polaris Prize and the success of new generations of Canadian artists here and abroad,” said Carolyn Warren, Director General, Arts Granting Programs Division / Directrice générale, Division des programmes de subventions aux arts.
2015 Polaris Music Prize winner Buffy Sainte-Marie, Music Programs Manager at Manitoba Film & Music and Weakerthans member Stephen Carroll, Manitoba’s Leader Of The Opposition and author/musician Wab Kinew and Polaris juror Ashley Bieniarz were all on hand to help present the Long List nominees. Past-Short List and current-Long List nominees Snotty Nose Rez Kids ended the ceremony with a surprise performance of music from their Long-Listed album, Trapline.
The 10 album Short List will be announced on July 16. The 2019 Polaris Music Prize winner will be revealed at the Polaris Gala on Monday, September 16 at the Carlu in Toronto, and will be live streamed globally at cbcmusic.ca/polaris.
The Polaris Music Prize awards $50,000 to the artist who creates the Canadian Album of the Year, judged solely on artistic merit, without consideration for genre or record sales. Additionally, the nine other nominated acts whose albums make the 2019 Short List will receive $3,000 each courtesy of Slaight Music.
Albums eligible for 2019 Polaris Music Prize consideration must be released between May 1, 2018 and May 31, 2019. An independent jury of music journalists, broadcasters and bloggers from across Canada determine the Long List and Short List. Eleven people from the larger jury pool are then chosen to serve on the Grand Jury. This Grand Jury convene on the night of the Gala to select the Polaris Music Prize winner.
Past winners of the Prize are: Jeremy Dutcher (2018), Lido Pimienta (2017), Kaytranada (2016), Buffy Sainte-Marie (2015), Tanya Tagaq (2014), Godspeed You! Black Emperor (2013), Feist (2012), Arcade Fire (2011), Karkwa (2010), Fucked Up (2009), Caribou (2008), Patrick Watson (2007) and Final Fantasy / Owen Pallett (2006).
The Winnipeg Long List events are presented with the assistance of Manitoba Film and Music and Downtown Winnipeg BIZ. The Polaris Long List event in Winnipeg is also supported by Manitoba Music, The Forks, Inn at the Forks, the TD Winnipeg International Jazz Festival and Collective Arts Brewing.